DEVELOPMENTAL TASK #1 Learning from Our History
- What events have shaped us?
- What have previous pastoral transitions been like?
- How does our history make us unique?
- What spiritual lessons can we learn from our history?
DEVELOPMENTAL TASK #2 Clarifying Our Identity
- “Who we are” changes over time
- But in our busy-ness we fail to recognize how we’ve changed
- “Who we are” can be hidden in the shadow of a great pastor
- Paths to Examining Our Identity
What do we believe?
What behavior do we advocate?
Who are we – age, income, location, etc.
What is our neighborhood like?
DEVELOPMENTAL TASK #3 Accepting Leadership Changes
- This is good time for hard-working leaders to take a break
- This is also a good time for new leaders to come forward
DEVELOPMENTAL TASK #4 Reconnecting to the Wider Church
- What kind of relationship do we want with our denomination?
- What kind of relationship do we want with other local churches?
DEVELOPMENTAL TASK #5 Committing to a New Future
- Developing a new vision, mission & strategic plan
- Developing a profile of what we want in the next pastor
- Preparing to partner with the next long-term pastor
©Mark Kelley 2011